If you need to sell your house fast because you’re nearing foreclosure, bankruptcy, going through a divorce, or just need to sell and move out of state, that’s completely understandable. The fastest way to sell a house in CT is to a cash buyer. When a buyer pays in cash, the closing process (escrow) can move a lot quicker since the buyer isn’t waiting for lender approval and bank financing. But to find a cash buyer that’s interested in buying your home may prove to be a bit harder to come by. Below we’ll cover all you need to know about how to sell your house fast for cash CT, so you can sell and move quickly.
Can You Sell Your House Fast for Cash in Connecticut?
The good news is you definitely can sell your house for cash. It’s no different than selling a home to someone using bank financing, but instead of the bank lending the buyer money to purchase the house, you sell to a buyer that already has the cash.
Selling a house for cash has plenty of advantages, with the biggest being how fast you can sell. Potential buyers may have contingencies like the sale of their own home before purchasing yours. When you work with a cash buyer, they usually don’t have contingencies like that. Also, lenders typically ask for appraisals and inspections, drawing out the closing process. A cash buyer may not even request those.
But to answer the question, can you sell your house fast for cash in CT? Yes, you can, you’ll just need to figure out how.
How to Sell Your House Fast for Cash
Ok, so working with a cash buyer sounds great, but how do you find a cash home buyer to purchase your property? One way you can is by listing your house with a realtor or selling a house by owner and stating that you’re only accepting cash offers. That will weed out prospective buyers that would be using a bank for financing. However, your pool of potential buyers will be quite a bit smaller since you’re only selling your house for cash.
Another way would be to find a “we buy houses Manchester CT” company or search for “sell house fast online” and see what pops up. There are companies out there that buy houses for cash, typically, they are a group of investors or a single investor who buys and sells homes in the Manchester area.
The other way you can sell your house for cash is to an iBuyer. These are large home buying companies that purchase homes in various markets. The only difference is that they usually are looking to buy houses in relatively good condition, so this may not be an option if your home requires some major repairs. Also, selling to an iBuyer usually includes a service charge which can range from 5-14% of the sale price, costing even more than selling with a realtor (average agent commission in CT is 5.26%).
Whichever selling strategy you choose, you’ll need to do a few things prior to listing your home. It’s usually recommended to make some minor repairs around the house and consider repainting to attract potential buyers.
Make Sure Any Minor Repairs are Done
If your home needs some minor repairs, it would be a good idea to go ahead and do those before listing your house. This will save you the trouble of a buyer asking you to do them before closing and hopefully speed up the process. You may be aware of some of the minor repairs because you’ve had to deal with that loose doorknob or leaky faucet. Some minor issues around the house may have gone unnoticed, so you’ll want to do a walk-through and take note of anything that needs to be addressed. Below are some ideas of home repairs you should check before you list your house:
- Bathrooms and Kitchen– These rooms can have many electrical systems and plumbing that you’ll need to check.
- Kitchen Appliances– Make sure that all your appliances are in working order. Don’t forget to check for leaks.
- Cabinets– cabinets can see a lot of wear and tear. You’ll want to check for damage, make sure they are functioning correctly, and replace any broken handles.
- Faucets and Sinks– Look for leaks and check that the faucet is running correctly with hot and cold temps. Don’t forget to check the drain and to clear any clogs.
- Showers and Bathtubs– While you’re checking sink drains, make sure to check your showers and bathtubs. Over the years, tile and grout can get dirty, make sure to do a thorough scrubbing and check for damage and wear signs.
- Paint– Touching up paint or repainting rooms to a neutral color can help your house feel and look brand new.
- Flooring– Scan your floors for damage and make to replace any parts that need to be repaired. Consider deep cleaning your carpets, especially if you have pets.
- HVAC– Don’t forget to check that your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems work correctly. Hire a professional to tune up and clean the unit if need be.
- Lighting– To make your home look big, open, and welcoming, you’ll want to check that the lighting is good. Make sure to incorporate as much natural light as possible and replace any light bulbs that no longer work.
- Circuit Breakers and Electrical Panels– Hire an electrician to ensure that your circuit breaker and the electrical panel are functioning correctly. Make sure that it meets regulations.
- Garage Door– Check that your garage door is working correctly. If there is any damage to the door, including major dents, you may want to think about replacing the door.
- Exterior Doors– Make sure that all the doors are functioning correctly and are in good shape. The handles and locks should be in working order and if you have any sliding doors, ensure that they can slide smoothly.
- Roof– You’ll want to check for missing components like shingles and for any leaks. Otherwise, it can lead to water damage in your home. As soon as you notice an issue, you’ll want to fix the problem area on your roof to avoid water damage and mold.
- Eaves– Besides the roof, you’ll want to ensure that your eaves don’t have any water damage or rot. If they do, you’ll want to hire a contractor to help replace any boards.
- Drainage– Water needs to be draining properly in your yard, including water from the roof. If you notice any issues, it’s best to address those quickly.
- Foundation– Foundation problems can be a significant cause for concern, so if you notice any issues, make sure to get a professional to fix them as soon as possible. Trying to sell a house with foundation damage in Connecticut is no fun!
If you end up doing any repairs or hiring a professional to do them for you, make sure you follow the building guidelines for your area and apply for permits. You’d be surprised by some of the building codes that require permits. So always check with your local city or county for requirements and apply for the proper permits to be safe.
→ Have you had unpermitted work done to your house? Click here to learn more about selling a home with unpermitted work in CT.
Repaint Your House
If you’re feeling stressed by all the minor repairs you need to make or just don’t have the extra funds to do them, you can always repaint your house. Touching up paint can go a long way to help spruce up your home and increase your chances of finding a buyer. Both the interior and exterior paint colors can have an impact on the success of your home sale. Aging exterior paint may turn potential buyers away before they even walk through the door, and interior walls with bright or bold wall colors may be too taste-specific.
Usually, out of the two, exterior paint is more expensive and involves hiring professionals. However, painting interior walls could be an easy DIY project and shouldn’t be too costly. To increase your chances of finding a cash buyer, you may want to consider repainting your house if your budget allows it.
Sell to a Cash Home Buyer in CT
Selling a house can be full of hidden costs and feel overwhelming when you need to make repairs and repaint, however, you can always sell your house as-is to a cash home buyer in CT. You would be able to sell your house quickly and without having to make any repairs or renovations. You actually wouldn’t even need to list your property on the open market. You would just contact a home buyer and request a cash offer for your home.
Depending on which home buyer you contact most will make you a cash offer based on your home’s current condition and comparable property sales in your area- they typically don’t include agent commissions or service fees. Closing costs may be negotiable too.
This selling option would save you several thousand dollars on realtor fees and repair costs, not to mention, would give you a guaranteed offer and closing date.
How to Work with a Cash Home Buyer in Connecticut
Working with a cash home buyer in Manchester is actually really easy. You’ll just need to do a bit of research to find the best home buying company in Connecticut. You don’t want to fall victim to a real estate scam, so you’ll want to make sure the cash home buyer has an official website, good customer reviews, and is a BBB accredited business. Usually, those are all good indications that the home buyer runs a legitimate company and is easy to work with. From there, you’ll just want to make sure what they offer you will be put in writing and ultimately that you feel comfortable working with them.
If you’d like to get started working with a cash home buyer, one that comes highly recommended is Ocean City Development. They have been in business since 2011 and have helped thousands of homeowners all across the Northeastern United States. How it works is pretty simple. You can either visit their website and fill out an easy form online or give them a call to get the home buying process started. So if you’re saying, “I need to sell my house fast in CT,” Ocean City Development can make you a free cash offer within 24-hours and can close in as little as 7-days or longer if needed.
Selling a house for cash has never been easier. However, finding a buyer with cash to purchase your home may be a bit challenging if you decide to list with an agent or for sale by owner (FSBO). If your home requires some repairs, paint, renovations, or improvements, this can be especially difficult. You’ll either have to make those fixes before selling your home or find an as-is buyer willing to take on the extra work. Ultimately, this is where selling your house to a cash home buyer would make sense. You’d be able to sell your house as-is, pick your closing date and move on your schedule. Knowing you have a guaranteed offer and buyer for your property would provide some peace of mind while figuring out your new living arrangements. If you’re interested in selling your home online to a home buyer, contact Ocean City Development today, they’d be happy to help you sell your house fast for cash in Connecticut.